My Eyebrows Actually Matter?

Now don't worry when you read this post.  I do realize that a unibrow is a no-no.  However, other than getting my eyebrows shaped at the salon and doing the upkeep tweezing I don't do much with my brows.  It's just never been an integral part of my day to day routine.

Well, recently at the make-up counter a lady convinced me to let her do my eye make-up.  I tried to explain to her that I had just left the gym and that I normally am a little more done up but she did not believe me.  One of the first things she did was fill in my eyebrows.  She explained to me that more definition in the correct shade will frame the face and accentuate any look.  I kindly rolled my eyes when she wasn't looking and sat patiently as she did my eye make-up.  After she had finished I was able to critique her work.  I have to admit, I was surprised by my eyebrows.  It didn't look fake at all; not like a line drawn across my face.  

Here was her secret.  She took the eyebrow pencil and filled it in going in the opposite direction very gently.  She did short, swift lines vs. continuing throughout the brow.  Then, she went back and used the eyebrow comb to ensure that all of my brow hairs were going the safe direction while also blending the pencil.  This was the Laura Mercier counter person, but I have a feeling it will work with most eyebrow pencils and combs.  I had heard these "tricks" before but I had never seen the results and boy did it work!  Plus, feeling the method made it easier to mimic it later on.  


One thing that will be important for you "eyebrow filler virgins" is to go to your favorite counterperson and determine what shade works best for you.  According to the Laura Mercier make-up artist, you need to go a shade below your eyebrows.  However, it may depend on the individual.  We definitely don't want you looking like Groucho Marx (see below for those of you who have no idea who I am talking about). 


Does all of this sound like too much work?  Well, Benefit Cosmetics offers a great alternative for the woman on the go.  Their product, the "Speed Brow" offers the perfect solution to taming brows in a jiffy!  It comes in a natural color that works for all brow shades.  I love this product when I am in a hurry and just want my brows to look coherent.  



So there you have it - something miniscule could really have people asking, "What did you do differently today?"  and you can coyly act as if nothing has changed.  After all, it really hasn't.   You're just enhancing and taming those little hairs to frame your face and draw more attention to your overall look.  But, remember...less is more.  If you go for the Groucho look, people might be asking out of concern.  

XOXO, Allison


  

1 comment:

  1. I love Benefits Speed Brow and also their Brow Zings! I use Speed Brow when I'm short on time or I'm just putting on a tiny bit of makeup (mascara + speed brow + cheek stain + lip gloss = perfect "non-make up" look). I use Brow Zings anytime I'm doing my full make up. Brow Zings is a mini brow compact... it has pigmented wax, setting powder, mini tweezer, hard angle brush (for putting on the wax) and a blending brush (for putting on the powder). This is perfect for girls with sparse brows, I've been using it for 7 years and it's one of my "can't live without" products.

    ReplyDelete