New Year - New You! (Not as corny as it sounds...)

Okay, so I'm changing it up a bit...but I'm still not steering completely away from my normal topics of beauty and fashion.  After all, in order to look your best you have to feel your best!

If you're like me, you are always looking for new and exciting ways to work out.  I have never been much of a runner.  Sorry, but I just can't jog on a treadmill for 30 minutes.  I get distracted, and as clumsy as I am that is not a pretty picture - believe me.

This past year has been an extremely stressful one, and after Christmas my husband and I realized that we had fell into the newlywed weight gain trap...we were both carrying around an extra 10-20 pounds.  Unfortunately, I have always been a yo-yo as far as weight gain and loss goes.  I tend to go in spurts from being a super healthy workout fiend to a junk food eating couch potato!  Recently, I got on the scales and was sure that I was seeing the numbers in the wrong order.  I finally started to realize what my mom has been trying to tell me all of these years - that your lifestyle, either good or bad, really affects how you feel.

Well, Grant (my husband) and I decided that this would be no longer.  We have stopped going out to eat every other night, have chosen healthier options, and are trying to cut out soda.  In addition we renewed our gym membership and have started to exercise again.

That brings me back to the point of this post (sorry...I tend to ramble a bit...) - a great way to get an amazing cardio workout without leaving the comfort of your home - Zumba for Wii (or your game console of choice)!  

In some cases, I have been truly disappointed by workout games for the Wii.  Some of them are so hard to control and you spend the majority of your time being frustrated vs. actually working out.  The Zumba games makes your workout much more enjoyable.  With the Wii console, you wear a band around your hips with a place for the controller to fit into the front.  It looks a little silly, but again, in the privacy of your own home who's going to see you besides your kids or pets!  By building a profile you can easily start a workout - with variations from Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.  You are also able to choose how much time you want to spend, so if you want something quick just go for 20 minutes.  If you are wanting to put in more time, just select a different workout.  The workout then starts with some really fun and invigorating latin club music.  It's a little cheesy, but it does have a good beat.  The workout is broken down into about 4-8 intervals of approximately 5 minutes each.  In order to gain "points" you want to mirror the instructor by making her turn green - this will affect your grade at the end of the workout.  However, just because you don't get every step doesn't mean the workout stops or the instructor starts barking at you to try harder.  In fact, she rarely says anything and rather just shows you the moves.  One of the best aspects of this workout is that the steps build upon each other.  In other words, she might start out a combination step by just showing you what you do with your feet.  Once you get the hang of that, she will throw in the arms or other moves.

I've been using this game now for approximately 1 month and I have to say that even though I've done the workouts over and over again I never get bored.  Tonight, I even made my husband join in and I think he is still recovering from his elevated heart rate - this game really makes you sweat.  My one bit of advice is make sure you have plenty of room - you'll be moving around a lot and don't want to run into the couch or bed post!

I really enjoy getting back into a routine of working out - it makes me have so much more energy!  So if you are looking for a new way to shed some extra pounds and have fun in the mean time - check it out!  You can even have a Zumba party - so once you get good, invite over your friends and show off your sexy latin dance moves.  After all, swimsuit season is just around the corner!


XOXO,
Allison 



No comments:

Post a Comment